Ergebnis 1 bis 4 von 4

Thema: Austria vs. France for spending the whole season (snow, altitude, price, party)

Freeskier Avatar von JKarhu

Standard Austria vs. France for spending the whole season (snow, altitude, price, party)

Hello everyone,

and apologiez since I'm sure this topic has been covered in this forum before. However, I don't speak German so I have to open a a new topic about the subject in English.

I've been planning to go to the French Alps for the season, but so many people have been saying that I should go to Austria instead, I've reconsidered my plan. So I'd like to know your opinion for the topic.

What I'm looking for is:

- Powder. Powder as much as possible.
    - Altitude
    - Reasonable (=cheap as possible) season passes and living expenses
    - Reasonable priced night life

But I'm not so much after huge after ski parties, they're just extra. My focus is on skiing. I'm also not very picky of where I live.
    In France I've been thinking of Les Deux Alpes, in Austria Inssbruck area (Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller to be exact). What experiences do you have from there? What areas would you recommend?

And then I just have couple of general questions over Austria:

- Where should I start looking for accommodation? I'm cool with shared accommodation too.
    - What are the living expenses in Austria?

Thank you all in advance!

Freeskier Avatar von Bl4ckscream

Standard AW: Austria vs. France for spending the whole season (snow, altitude, price, party)

Zitat Zitat von JKarhu Beitrag anzeigen
    What are the living expenses in Austria?
    not that cheap (resp. depending on the exact place of living). Normally the closer to ski resorts the more expensive But in both countries are beautiful spots, so a general comparison is difficult (imo).

..si tu peux parler couramment le francais, je te recommande la france. If not, come to Innsbruck
    It's kinda hard to fall when you have a PhD in Stomponomics - L.Tynes

Freeskier

Standard AW: Austria vs. France for spending the whole season (snow, altitude, price, party)

Well, at the moment there is not much snow here in Austria. So I would rather pick France but I would do that anyway because in my opinion the resorts over there are way more interesting and the do have real mountains Living in Innsbruck for over 3 years now, maybe also a reason why I find it more interesting somewhere else. As Blackscream said, I would rather pick Innsbruck for lviing because there is much more going on in town and stuff, but a car is essential here for skiing...

If you are looking for accomodation check out those sites:

http://www.oehweb.at/service/wohnungsboerse/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wohn...ersefj12.nsgm/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/10150091665850054/

Talking about liviing expenses... Flats and Rooms are quite expensive (Munich style) and grocerys are about 20% more expensive than in Germany.

Cheers

Freeskier Avatar von JKarhu

Thank you guys for the response and the tips.

I've been checking out the snow maps, it seems that there is not that much more snow in France either, so maybe I just keep watching the forecasts for a while.

I checked out the flat prices, they are ok compared to Finland where I'm originally from. To get some kind of an idea of the expenses, let's use a beer pint index: how much is a pint in Inssbruck?

I have car, so that won't be an issue. If I'd go to Les Deux Alpes I'd station myself to Grenoble and I need a car there too.